Amazon Echo vs. Google Home:
Our technicians have outlined some of the differences between these home automation systems to help you decide which one is right for you. Keep in mind that with both devices, you will need one or more additional smart devices to truly take control of your home. Here’s the full breakdown:
Amazon Echo – $40-$140
- Has been on the market longer
- Has more integrations with hardware and software applications
- Can play music from multiple sources
- “Dumb” when asking it questions
- At the moment, it’s better at controlling your home hands-free
Google Home – $129
- New to the marketplace
- More limited integrations, but can work directly with Nest and Chromecast to stream to TV’s
- Plays music from one chosen source
- Not perfect, but much “smarter” when answering questions
- At the moment, it’s better at answering questions hands-free (like unit conversions while cooking, etc.)
Both devices’ commercials show them controlling your home lights or thermostat. What they don’t mention is that in order to use these functions, you need one (or more) additional smart home devices.
For lighting control, you will need one or more of the following:
- Samsung SmartThings Hub
- Smart switches that talk to the Hub
- Smart light bulbs that can be controlled when the light switch is on
- Philips Hue starter kit
For thermostat control, you will need something like Nest. There are other options available, but this device is the most popular.
For TV and/or AV control:
- Both devices can use a web service called IFTTT to talk to a smart remote
- Alexa has direct integration with Logitech Harmony smart remotes
For some additional pros and cons for each device, check out CNET’s articles 8 things Alexa can do that Google Home can’t, and 9 things Google Home can do that Alexa can’t.
We hope this breakdown helps you choose which device is right for your home. As always, don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions at 970.373.5428 or [email protected].
Great real world tips from the techs @DecypherTech. Good job team.